Fireflies

JD and I have been sitting on the deck at night when both girls are sleeping to catch up with each other about the day and any other tidbits. The fireflies are out and I love watching the little glimmers in the trees as we talk by candlelight. There are crickets and grasshoppers and mosquitoes, too, of course - but thankfully not too many of those. I've really been cherishing that time. You start to realize how rare it is that you get through a complete thought or sentence without interruption. I've given up completely on trying to talk to him in the car. "Mom, mom, mama! Dad, daddy, dada!" A birdy, a plane, a tree, a who-even-knows-what you just saw or said or thought of but it surely demands everyone's utmost attention. She talks non-stop. Which we love and find hilarious. I'm not complaining - for the record. I just love the time we've been carving out in the evening, hanging out with my husband and friend. I appreciate him so much, and in the last week or two alone I've received so many compliments about JD. What a good husband and dad he is... people notice, and go out of their way to mention it. It's so nice, and so true. He's amazing with the girls. Aunt Janice mentioned that at Kristen's party she thought it was really great what a good dad he was and how much he seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. I think that really nails it in a way: he loves the girls so much and he loves being their dad and doing dad things with them. Playing, singing, wiping hands, chasing for sport or necessity, even changing diapers or whatever. OK, nobody likes to change diapers but it's just a part of the whole scene and he does everything without breaking stride. He's patient and caring and fun. I think he's the best dad ever! All the Dahl girls are lucky to have him around :)